Monday 13 February 2012

First time: Making Marmalade


So last week I made my first marmalade! I have made jam for a few years and foolishly thought it would be much the same. Marmalade is much harder! There didn't seem to be much pectin in these oranges, despite the overnight soaking, so I added some lemon and eventually some cooked apples as well and boiled it for about 1.5 hours instead of the 15 minutes the recipe insisted I needed.

I based it on this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3383/seville-orange-marmalade

My original quantities were:

2.5 lb oranges
2.5 litres water
2 kg brown sugar.

Plus, as mentioned I ended up adding juice and peel of one lemon, and a cereal bowl full (not very precise i know!) of cooked apple.

Eventually it gave in and started to set, and I now have some rather nice, but very very dark coloured marmalade!



In future attempts I would probably use jam sugar which would add in a lot of the necessary pectin, and possibly mix this with canderel or stevia, as it is really too much sugar in my opinion (as a diabetic these things matter!). Also, this would fix the darkness as that is caused by using brown sugar instead of white.

But all in all I'd have to say, not bad for a first attempt! 



No comments:

Post a Comment